Colorado Mammoth Message Board

The official fan forum of the Colorado Mammoth
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:50 pm 

Steve, what can Mammoth expect to see this off season? I will have to admit this year was somewhat a disappointment. There were a lot of good picks in the draft, and at the start of the season I thought we had a great team, while I do not like to use the "injury bug" excuse, there were a few blows to the team.

1. The coach, I am not going to sugar coat this. as I sat at LODO's on Sunday and watch Calgary run up 9 goals, the groans in the building were terrible, While Leyshon had his moments, far to many times this season, he should have been pulled, not left out there to be peppered like he was.

2. The Players, Awesome year for most of them and really hoping for the core group to stay the same. What is you vision?

3. Goaltending, how is Gee? Will he be back?

Of the three, my opinion is the coach is the weak link here. No matter what, i am a hardcore fan, sitting up in section 350, row 6 on the balcony watching the best team, win or lose in the NLL! Thanks for the insight!

AnTMaN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:58 pm 

welcome to the boards.

im not going to say any more (_regulars understand this_)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:21 pm 

Thanks Jake!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:49 pm 

Don't mind jake. He is a self proclaimed know it all but a forum proclaimed ***. But he is cool.

Post subject: Goaltending
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:50 am 

Hi Steve...

Like Dgfria2, I was also wondering about Gee's status. He is my son's favorite player.

Will he be playing next season or is his injury career threatening?

Also, are there any free agents that might be able to help out our scoring?

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:42 am 

Thank you for the questions and I apologize for the delay on the answer. It has been a busy off season already and things are shaping up to put us in a very good position moving forward.

1. I have answered this question many times, the coach has my confidence, the confidence of his staff and the confidence of his players.

2. We have a vision, it is very difficult to share at this time prior to the draft as we have to maintain a level of confidentiality in order to execute the vision. I will be very honest that there will be changes, they will begin to unfold very soon.

3. Gee Nash has informed us that he would like to be closer to home if his back allows him to play. I have every confidence that his back is healing according to the doctor's plans, however, the personal demands of a young family and career in Ontario have prompted him to suggest to us that he will not return in 2010. We thank him for a tremendous 6 years here and wish him the very best in his future endevours. His play in the 2006 playoffs will always be a source of great pride for the organization.

Because both Gee and Gavin's contracts for the past season are expiring soon and their contractual obligation to appear on this message board to answer questions is no longer in effect, we have removed those sections. We hope to offer similar features for next season.

We haven't been extremely active in the free agent market this season as there are very few players that fit the profile of what we are trying to do. Our focus is to get younger again and unless a very high profile free agent becomes available we will most likely focus most of our attention on the draft.

We continue to be very excited about the progress of our injured players, it appears that all of them are on pace to be ready for the beginning of training camp in November. With all of those players back it allows us the flexibility again to focus on aspects of our game that lacked last season. The loss of multiple defenders forced the coaching staff to place a premium on stay at home defense, healthy defenders gives us a renewed focus on transition and takes pressure of our 5v5 offense and special teams, our goals this season are to let the horses out of the barn to run and gun.

We are looking at this draft as a very deep western talent laden draft, we are excited to add some dynamic offensive players to provide a new spark to our offense with the 4th and 5th picks overall.

We certainly appreciate our fans sticking with us through a very difficult and dissappointing year last year, and are committed to solidifying our ability to contend in the NLL for a championship for many years to come.

SG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:55 am 

Steve Govett wrote:
We continue to be very excited about the progress of our injured players, it appears that all of them are on pace to be ready for the beginning of training camp in November. With all of those players back it allows us the flexibility again to focus on aspects of our game that lacked last season. The loss of multiple defenders forced the coaching staff to place a premium on stay at home defense, healthy defenders gives us a renewed focus on transition and takes pressure of our 5v5 offense and special teams, our goals this season are to let the horses out of the barn to run and gun.
That is what I like to hear!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:18 pm 
Site Admin

Steve Govett wrote:
We are looking at this draft as a very deep western talent laden draft, we are excited to add some dynamic offensive players to provide a new spark to our offense with the 4th and 5th picks overall.

First, thanks for taking the time out of your "on-season" as the GM to post.
Second, I appreciate the Mammoth looking to the west for talent. It seems to be easier to keep players that are living at least moderately close to the home squad. I hope to see this trend continue with the likes of Bill Tierney coaching in DU drawing even more talent out to our side of the Mississippi.

Here's hoping for a positive 2010

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:14 am 

Steve Govett wrote:
Because both Gee and Gavin's contracts for the past season are expiring soon and their contractual obligation to appear on this message board to answer questions is no longer in effect, we have removed those sections. We hope to offer similar features for next season.

I vote to get Langtry on the Board :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:56 am 

tdog1921 wrote:
Steve Govett wrote:

I vote to get Langtry on the Board :D :D

I'm on board with that. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:18 am 

thanks for the answer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:05 pm 

Steve Govett wrote:

Interesting. I thought it was just something fun they were doing, not contractually obligated. That takes some of the enthusiasm out of it...knowing they had to do it vs doing it out of their own free will. Money talks right?!

Contact me if you are interested in purchasing a horn. naturalhoosier@gmail.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:45 pm 

Really???? Putting up with all of us for free? I am sure it is in both of their contracts that they could have their employers links in their sigs as well. It is the world of business.

Post subject: Follow-on Question
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:02 am 

Thanks for the clarity Steve.

Does Gavin have the same intentions to play closer to home? You mention players that "fit" the plan - my assumption is that because Gavin brings a variety of skills, he fits this plan?

Thanks for sharing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:50 am 

Hello All,

I wanted to come on here and clarify something that was brought up by Naturalhoosier. Although posting a Q & A section on this website was in my contract never at any moment while answering the many questions I have over this past season did I think of this as work to me. In fact I was told that I could come on this site every so often to post responses and that would fulfill my obligation to that portion of my contract. What I did was check this site daily and post responses as quickly as I could to the fans that took the time to write in questions. I enjoyed doing this all season and will miss having this opportunity in the future. Often times in NLL contracts there is room for "promotional monies" which leaves a wide spectrum of what that could entail. Steve enjoyed the success of his “Ask the GM” forum so he suggested that I have a Q & A forum on this site and I thought it was a great idea so that was what our joint partial definition of "promotional monies" meant this past season. After all I was an employee of the lacrosse club the same way Steve is and no one has questioned Steve's employment and how that is tied into this forum have they? At the end of the day I just wanted to be clear that I thoroughly enjoyed posting on this forum so I hope this response rekindles the enthusiasm for you. It is clear to me that the fans in Colorado are intelligent, knowledgeable and passionate lacrosse fans that, in my six years in Denver, I was always impressed with. It is unfortunate that my forum had been taken down when it was because I wanted to personally thank the fans for their support, cheers, cards, signs & well wishes over the past six years. I love coming to Denver and the state of Colorado and I will always take pride that I was able to play for such fantastic fans that have embraced the NLL and the sport of lacrosse with such devotion. Thank you and I know the Mammoth will give you something to cheer about for many seasons to come.

Gee Nash

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:41 pm 

Gee...

Good Luck! I hope your back is healing well! I am never going to forget 2006! Thanks for the memories!!

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:24 pm 

gee and gav could continue to post if they wanted to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:56 pm 

They could, and they could also pull a willie and cause problems for the organization.

I am in a very cynical mood this week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:28 am 

You are right we could still post, but we no longer have our own forums to do so. I would suggest that if anyone has any questions for me to answer, please post it in the "Mammoth Talk" forum and I will respond that way.
Just to reiterate Gee's comments, neither Gee nor myself asked for our forums to be taken down, nor was it just seen as a contractual obligation for us. We both enjoy interacting with the best fans in the league as well as adding a little insight into the game we both love dearly. I will continue to answer any questions anyone has for me on the "Mammoth Talk" forum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:19 pm 

Thanks for the responses gentlemen. They mean a lot. In the world w/so many Terrell Owen's, Michael Crabtree's, and all the other Show-Me-the-Money athletes, it's nice to see, encounter, and get face time (well monitor time), w/athletes like yourselves. Thanks Gee and Gavin.

Contact me if you are interested in purchasing a horn. naturalhoosier@gmail.com