Colorado Mammoth Message Board

The official fan forum of the Colorado Mammoth
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Playing Surface
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:11 am 

Steve,

Is there any plans on improving the playing surface for next year? I can honestly say that I haven't paid too much attention to it prior to this year but it looks really bad for an indoor field.

Post subject: Re: Playing Surface
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:12 am 

devildog wrote:
Steve,

Is there any plans on improving the playing surface for next year? I can honestly say that I haven't paid too much attention to it prior to this year but it looks really bad for an indoor field.

I agree with this. The advertisements on the field have to be the worst. It would be a different story if they were level with the field, but they protrude and stick up.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:23 pm 

In the past I have noticed the advertisements but this year it isn't just those. It seems like there is a hundred raised seams as well as the turf curled up against the boards.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:17 am 

The Colorado turf is widely known around the League as one of the best and has been for some time.

All the turf around the League has its challenges, obviously it is rolled up and put down, usually, within 12-16 hours of a game. It is stored in the winter indoors in cold storage facilities. The turf and its foam underlay has a "memory". Sometimes, in some games, it will be difficult to lay flat. This is most prominent at one of the edges where the turf is most compacted in the roll. The only remedy for that is time, something that we don't have a ton of during double header situations.

There is great care taken of our turf by our conversion crew at Pepsi Center, these guys are very close to being the best in the business and an industry standard around North America. Their attention to the turf gives us the reputation that we have in the NLL and we are proud of it.

I will say that over time our turf has, believe it or not, because of the dryness in Colorado, shrunk in width. This is why you see some of the gaps that exist between the boards and the turf itself exist. In Denver there is a composite board laid over the ice between the turf and the ice. In some buildings that isn't the case, it is laid right on the ice, not good for either the turf or the ice.

Unfortunately, this is the nature of the beast in the NLL, the players know it and understand it, and for the most part perform extremely well on it. We accept it because there really isn't a whole lot to do about it. I will say that most of the crews around the League do share best practices and do everything they can to smooth it out prior to games.

SG