Colorado Mammoth Message Board

The official fan forum of the Colorado Mammoth
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Practice Player List?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:05 pm 

I am curious whether the Practice Player list in the NLL is similar to the practice squads in the NFL. If another team wants to sign a practice player to their active roster they offer him a contract and that player then decides whether to stay on his teams Practice Squad or move to the other teams active roster in the NFL. Is that how it works in the NLL?

I am curious because I noticed Eric Law is on the Toronto Rock Practice Player List, and he is a young guy with a lot of upside who is from Colorado.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:04 pm 

From my understanding, no it is not the same. Somewhere in the GM threads, SG commented that Lewis was not on the practice squad because that would have locked him in with the team for the whole season and Lewis wanted to be a free agent in case there were any openings elsewhere mid season.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:46 pm 

It used to be that players could be signed off another team's Practice Roster, but that changed for this season, and now guys are 'locked in' to the team they're signed with.

Of course, there's probably nothing to stop a team from releasing the player anyway if he gets an offer from somebody else.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:53 am 

The practice player list is different than it has been in the past. It has been increased from 3 players to 4 players but those players are eligible to be moved up and down from the practice roster to the active roster as necessary.

It is no longer possible for practice players to be offered contracts by other teams. The practice player is the property of the Team for the duration of the season unless that player is released or traded.

In the past, you could offer a roster spot to another team's practice player and that team had 72 hours to activate that player to the 23 man roster and release someone else or risk losing that player.

Practice players that are on the list of 4 at the end of the season will become unrestricted free agents at the end of the season and free to sign anywhere, if they are not signed to the tryout list for the subsequent season.

SG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:40 pm 

Thanks for the clarification!

I'm assuming this is something written into the CBA? Can it be revisited? It just seems like a player who is designated as a "Practice Player" Should be able to sign to an active roster.