Colorado Mammoth Message Board

The official fan forum of the Colorado Mammoth
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Toughness
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:22 am 

Hi Steve,
With the loss of Rory Smith, Gajic, profit, Morgan and Mac this team appears to be much softer than last years team.
With the roster reduction there really isn't room to carry a goon anymore although Tim O'Brien and Bontere were likely the last ones in this league and haven't played in a few years. The new NLL enforcer has to be able to play effective lacrosse such as Snider, Beers, Rory, Suitor, assuming there will still be situations where fighting may be necessary, who do you see filling this role this year for the Mammoth.
As an outside observer, I really don't see where the toughness will come from other than Chet or maybe Orsen.

Thanks Steve,

Murray

Post subject: Re: Toughness
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:06 am 

Wow, tough question!! Pardon the pun!

I guess you could look at a roster of guys you haven't seen play much before and call them soft, our focus has been on assembling a roster that will be "team tough". Fighting has taken such an insignificant role in the NLL lately that I don't know how much bearing it really has on the game. With such an added emphasis on concussion prevention and player safety, fighting is much less important. Looking back on a 2006 team that had success, I am not sure if there was even one fight that year.

The style of play in the NLL makes it difficult for enforcers to have much of an effect, def plays against offense and vice versa, most of the tougher players are defenders playing against offensive players that don't fight. As you mentioned effective lacrosse players are most important, so why not focus solely on that. Toughness will emerge as the season progresses, the grind of 18 games and 20 players limits any importance of the traditional fighter.

Of course last season we had the player's you mentioned, and aside from the 5 fights in Buffalo, I think there might have been one other fight last season. We think its infinitely more important to focus on winning games rather than sending messages or filling the penalty box. With reduced rosters intimidation can be very costly.

Dedication to being team tough and sticking up for your teammates is most paramount, I don't think we have a roster that is soft by any means, I think we have a group of players committed to each other and working hard to sending our message with offensive firepower and an athletic defense that makes it very difficult to get inside to shoot.

Our goal is winning and being in the penalty box is counterproductive to that. I guess we will see if that approach works.

SG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:52 am 

I can't help but think that if Rory Smith or Mac or even Ilija were still on this team that Richards would have thought twice before attacking Jones after the Snider goal.

The Stealth have Moleski, Beers, Hostrawser, Ilija Sorensen and Grimes who were all free to tee off on Mammoth players without any push back. I see this as a trend which will really hurt this team when playing Calgary and Buffalo down the road.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:00 pm 

What a bunch of B.S. We totally lack toughness, not enforcers, toughness!