Colorado Mammoth Message Board

The official fan forum of the Colorado Mammoth
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: State of the team
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:26 pm 

Steve,

As a long time fan, and one of the Mammoth's biggest supporters, I find it fair to ask, do you really believe you are doing the best job you can? While I know you will likely be conveniently, 'too busy', to answer this, I'm sure a number of the teams biggest supporters share the same sentiments.

In over a decade of Mammoth lacrosse, there have been ups and downs, celebrations and heartbreaks, but I cannot recall such a miserable period in Mammoth lacrosse as the last five years, and what already appears to be be a sixth in this season. Admittedly, I am not an executive in the league, nor will I likely ever be, but I don't think it takes an expert to realize you're repeating a losing formula year after year. Taking a look at the most successful teams in the league, and particularly in the Mammoth's glory days, one thing stands out, consistency. When the Mammoth won the Championship, it was not because they were the best players, but because they were the best team. With so many returning members, the chemistry and consistency allowed them to play at a sum greater than the parts. And now here we are, a team that seems to be rebuilding since 2007, blowing up the roster yearly to a point where your longest tenured current player is only in his fourth season with the team. At what point do you simply let it be? It can't get worse.

Speaking of the longest tenured player, what kind of example is Grant Jr. setting for the guys, when seemingly every quarter he crumbles to the floor and lays trying to get a late call that never comes, leaving the defense hanging to dry short handed. He's a professional, and an athlete, and one of the team leaders, at what point do you say something to him? He sets the tone, and as his 'boss' at what point do you decide that's unacceptable? Do you even care?

Off the field, Willie B has crossed the line, and is now a serious disappointment and truthfully an annoyance. He's a part of the experience, sure, but in what world is it ok for a sports arena announcer to bully opposing players and refs, make crude and adult jokes regarding other players? The middle school jock laugh at his own sophomoric jokes, and constant talking during play and only being quiet when the ball isn't live seems counter intuitive to the traditional role of the in game announcer. It's too much, it's out of control, and you refuse to step up, again.

So I suppose it begs the question, what are YOU doing for this team and these fans right now? Not every team will win every year, but after years of a losing game plan (in a league where the most talented team doesn't always have the best record and the emotional aspect is equally important), what is your vision, or what are you trying to do? The Mammoth aren't the big team for the Kroenke family and your job is undoubtedly secure, but if this was the NBA, NHL, NFL, do you think you would still be with the team?

To save you the excuse of being too busy to write out a response, I'll simply ask, what is your vision for the team, and what have you actually done to get them there.

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: State of the team
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:45 pm 

If this was Facebook, I would "Like" your status! I think these are fair questions.
+1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:10 am 

+2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:23 pm 

+3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:33 pm 

Ill hop on this bandwagon.
+4

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:48 pm 

It would be nice to get some responses on the posts of late. It seems that no ones posts are being responded to. I realize the Mammoth are in a rut, but the fans would like to know what is going on & how the Mammoth are going to fix it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:40 am 

SG is embarrassed by the team he is putting on the floor and doesn't want to face his fans...doesn't surprise me one bit. After I saw that he responded to fans on this forum I gained respect but with his silence in trying times, it's starting to dwindle.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:55 pm 

Clearly there is a lot of Mammoth frustration going around. I have some, too. While some of the questions and posts may be fair, you have to be fair to Steve Govett also. In fairness, while trying to do his job many of the questions posted simply cannot be answered.

My opinion is that SG really is trying to right the ship.

If there are drastic or significant changes in the works, or 'big announcements', it probably doesn't make sense to detail them here.

Obviously some things have not worked out as planned.

Maybe something like....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:44 pm 

While that's all well and good Billy, it seems as though we've been thrown for a loop the past couple years. The team has supposedly been in 'rebuilding years' which has been an extreme case as to where the turnover is so great there is no connection on the 'team'. As well as a supposed youth movement, which has seen us drop or trade many of our promising young chips and pick up some old as dirt former superstars on the back side of their careers. Obviously Steve can't answer all the questions, but it's always better to over ask than under ask. And as a GM who supposedly prides himself on being in touch with the fans, this is part of the territory that comes with it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:22 pm 

Hey there, Steve!

I noticed you had time to answer some other replies and so I sure hope you didn't skip this one! It seems there's a lot of fan interest in this post that I'm sure last weekends game backed up. Looking forward to hearing from you! Thanks Steve!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:00 pm 

Looks like the direction is sucking. And trading good young players for washed up old guys who used to play for the Mammoth. The only reason he fired Hamley was to get 3 retired ex-mammoth in 1 move! Hah!
Why not suit up yourself at this point Steve? Maybe you will have better luck there.