The official fan forum of the Colorado Mammoth
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Do you still have faith in Govett?
Yes 24%  24%  [ 4 ]
No 76%  76%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 17
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:04 pm 

For no other reason than, just 'cus, let's see how this turns out. We've changed coaches, players (over, and over, and over, and over), so what's left?

How many of us are actually confident in Steve Govett's ability to successfully field a winning lacrosse team, and produce a quality in game experience. We may need to start a separate one in the Ask the GM section.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:36 am 

I still have faith in Govett, I think he's putting some solid pieces in place right now.

Yes the team is struggling, especially defensively but I still think there is time to turn this around.
On the broadcast last night Josh Gross said that the team has a big announcement planned this week. Let's wait to see what that is as it sounded like it could be a personnel announcement.

I still think we should try to get Miller out of Philadelphia if he's willing to play here and while (if) Belanger has some trade value left. Ward is our future starter and having a veteran goalie to help him would definitely help. Btw isn't Dallas supposed to be helping these guys now?

The back/to/backs have cost us this year, going 0-2 in the second games after having 2 strong games in the first of each back/to/back.

I like having Snider on this team, it's nice to have a reliable FO guy and his D isn't any worse than Ilija Gajic played last season.

Let's see what this announcement is about and then we can all pass judgement on what Govett is doing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:34 pm 

Murray51 wrote:
Let's see what this announcement is about and then we can all pass judgement on what Govett is doing.

I'm pretty sure the Mammoth have already brought in all of the former MVPs that are available, so at least it shouldn't be that. And it better not be Powell coming back now, because he had his shot and, regardless of reason, he passed; we've got Pollock, Westervelt, and now Iannucci. We'd likely have to cut one of them to bring in another righty.

As for Govett, the first six season of the Mammoth, the worst the team went was 8-8 and they had a .635 winning percentage.
The 5+ previous seasons: 7-9, 4-12, 5-11, 11-5, 7-9, and now 1-5 so far this year, with a winning percentage of .407.

Judgment was passed awhile ago.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:18 pm 

[quote="silvanthalas"]

I'm pretty sure the Mammoth have already brought in all of the former MVPs that are available, so at least it shouldn't be that. And it better not be Powell coming back now, because he had his shot and, regardless of reason, he passed; we've got Pollock, Westervelt, and now Iannucci. We'd likely have to cut one of them to bring in another righty.

For argument sake, let's say they're bringing in another forward, without giving one up in return.

Who do you cut?

If it's a righty:

Ianucci
Westervelt
Pollock

If it's a lefty:

Dalgarno
Jones
Grant

IMO if SG is bringing in a forward, Dalgarno is gone if he's a lefty and either Pollock or Ianucci if it's a righty.

I'm hoping it's an announcement that they've made a deal for Miller or another D guy.

I think they're out of theme nights for jersey unveilings so we will have to wait and see.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:26 pm 

You're missing the point entirely. The problem is bringing guys in and cutting guys weekly. That's what the offseason is for. Why even do training camp if half your final roster doesn't even make it until the end of the season. A five year olds short term mentality has ruined any flow and chemistry on this team, and will continue to, until these guys have the slightest bit of job security and know their work will be worth something. And throwing a new cog into the mix rarely makes an offense better instantly. It takes time, it takes practice, and in a league where practice time is so limited, that's what the offseason is for. It doesn't matter which big names he signs, he's putting names on a roster, not putting together a cohesive functioning team. That's the problem.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:06 pm 

Where is the mention of this "Monday announcement" people are referring to?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:37 pm 

blake wrote:

I would guess this:

Murray51 wrote:
On the broadcast last night Josh Gross said that the team has a big announcement planned this week.

I haven't gone back to the DVR yet, but I only planned to skim it for a handful of things anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:38 pm 

blake wrote:

I haven't seen it in print but Josh Gross mentioned that there was going to be a big announcement this week.
He didn't mention which day on the broadcast.