Colorado Mammoth Message Board

The official fan forum of the Colorado Mammoth
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Performance tonight.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:48 pm 

It was an all around insulting performance tonight. I was in attendance with my lacrosse team (Spartans) and was hoping they would enjoy the game and learn something... Well they learned how not to play lacrosse. The transition game was AWFUL yet again! You'd think a week after getting beat mainly in transition that the CS would address that but must have not been important apparently. The offense went back to running through Jr. with him attempting to go 1 on 1 eating up the shot clock with the team eventually settling on a low percentage shot resulting in an easy save. And the defense was just putrid... Not much else to say, they left Ward and Ty hanging out to dry all game long...

Snider was AWFUL on FOs as well... this is a guy brought in to win at least 60% of faceoffs and thats his only job... An off night in that department is unacceptable especially against Garrison who is new to the faceoff dot. If you are going to be a liability as a FOGO then I would much rather have Illija back with his all around solid play, tying up players on faceoffs.

Just the ranting of a frustrated fan I suppose... oh and the team looks lost without Adam Jones who actually plays with heart.

Post subject: Re: Performance tonight.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:34 am 

Been a long time season ticket holder and last night was pitiful. I don't understand this offense - there are very few screens/picks being set, we literally stand on the perimeter with no movement cuttng to/from the goal like most teams. It's Grant holding the ball backing in and nothing happens ! The defense well therir feet are to slow. The other offense players spin or make a quick step move and they're by our defense and then the only person left between our goalie and their offense. We leave shooting lanes open. Hate to blame it all on the coach, but you'd think he'd recognize what's happening. You'd think the players would want to run an offense with movement. I truly believe the over arching issue is Grant , players are tentative to play their game. Somethinghas to change !

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:22 am 

Seaserpent wrote:
Been a long time season ticket holder and last night was pitiful. I don't understand this offense - there are very few screens/picks being set, we literally stand on the perimeter with no movement cuttng to/from the goal like most teams. It's Grant holding the ball backing in and nothing happens ! The defense well therir feet are to slow. The other offense players spin or make a quick step move and they're by our defense and then the only person left between our goalie and their offense. We leave shooting lanes open. Hate to blame it all on the coach, but you'd think he'd recognize what's happening. You'd think the players would want to run an offense with movement. I truly believe the over arching issue is Grant , players are tentative to play their game. Somethinghas to change !

The only time the offense looked decent was on both of Westervelts back door cut diving goals... pretty much the only time I saw that play was the 2 times westervelt scored.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:35 pm 

And the Stealth turned around and got their butts handed to them tonight in Calgary.

Right now, it's Edmonton, everybody else, and 3.5 more years of putting up with Grant. :?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:23 pm 

I think all of the fans are really owed an explanation. That was one of the worst performances ever by this team. To steal a quote from the film Any Given Sunday..."Never in all my years of coaching, have I seen anything that stinks like this. I am embarrassed to be your coach." I feel bad for all you who spent your hard earned money to witness this. I had to turn the TV off after halftime, and go find something else to do.

There is obviously something going on in the locker room that leadership is not talking about. Perhaps they are not talking about it to the fans after the games. Needless to say the tape shows it all and it is not pretty.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:34 am 

The offensive scheme is exactly that, offensive! Jr is a great player, who can make some plays, but he is also past his prime and the coaches should come to grips with that. Jr should be on the floor no more that 50% of the Mammoth possessions. Let him be a threat with fresh legs, change up the plays, do something different, because Friday night was sad. I hear a lot of complaints on Jr, but the think a lot of the blame falls on the coaches and their inability to provide the players with plays that have movement, some rotation, instead of the 1-on everyone and then try to dump a pass to some one with 3 seconds left on the clock. We have a lot of talent on this team, A LOT. They need direction. Frustrating....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:04 am 

I think that there is too much blame being thrown at the forwards from last game and not enough at the D & G.
A 9-1 first quarter deficit is hard to pull yourself out of.
You certainly can't expect to have to score 20 each night to win.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:46 am 

Don't call me a fair weather fan, but this was the first time I've ever left a game early, midway through the 3rd quarter. I was insulted by that performance. I don't take time off work and spend my hard earned money to watch a team that barely even bothered to show up for 2 of the past 3 games (BUF & VAN). I'm done playing the blame game with this team, it's all fubar as far as I'm concerned.

I wasn't expecting the team to be even .500 this year but it's gotten to the point it's not fun to watch anymore. Season ticket renewal is going straight in the garbage.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:09 pm 

I actually thought Jr. had a decent game Friday night. He played hard, seemed engaged and put up some points. He could have had more but missed some good opportunities.

Once again the D and Goalies had a rough night and never gave the team a chance. Sure there were some open looks, but it seemed even the long range shots were going right through Ward and Belanger. One thing I noticed was that there was much more space low and around the 5 hole for our goalies than Richards displayed. It seemed to give the Stealth a huge target while Mammoth shots directed at the same part of the net were usually blocked easily. Do you think this is equipment? Player size? It seems Belanger may be a bit smaller but Ward seems like a big dude.

Garrison battled Bob for the draws each of the last two games...it seems he is improving with faceoffs as the season progresses and maybe this is why the Stealth were willing to trade Snider. Bob still worked hard and technically 'won' several draws and got no help from his teammates on the floor. It seems that group on the floor for draws for the Mammoth is really weak in terms of collecting loosies or helping each other with time and space. I would much rather have Cliff Smith back than Ilija.

I also think that playing the same opponent four times in the first half of the year is a load of greenish brown bananas. The Stealth figured out the Mammoth tendencies on offense, found ways to exploit weaknesses on the Mammoth D and generally had a much better game plan for Game 4 than the Mammoth did.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:49 am 

This team seems to lack an identity.
Are they the young guys with some vets? Or are they the vets with some young guys? The direction seems to switch every year.
I understand that there are limitations to the availability of players in this league and this may be a case where the franchise just can't get the guys that it wants for the game plan.

As an outsider looking in, the most troubling factor that seems to be a reoccurring theme is that a young guy is cut because he doesn't fit the mold, but then goes on to become an integral core member or upper tier roleplayer for another team. To me, it almost seems like they're dictating the talents of the players instead of the talent of the players dictating how they help the team.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:19 pm 

To put it simply, there's no synergy here.

Way back in the Championship season (which is getting harder and harder to remember), I don't think the team was necessarily a championship team on paper. But they synched extremely well. They played great lacrosse, scored when they needed to, stopped the other team when they needed to, and took it all the way to the cup. The whole was somehow greater than the sum of the parts. One plus one plus one equals ten.

This year? Complete opposite. (Again.)

It's not like there's no talent here. We've got good players on the offense, defense, transition and goaltending sides. We've seen good performances from them, sporadically in the past, and even in bits and pieces this season.

But we don't have a team. We have a bunch of guys who wear the same uniform. Like somebody just selected them five minutes ago to play together. Far too many of our goals are out-of-nowhere good efforts from an individual, rather than a play. How many of our team's assists are actually assists, not "the last two people to have held the ball before passing it to the guy who eventually made a goal"? How many opposing breakaway goals have we seen, and shorthanded goals given up? One plus one plus one equals one. On a good night.

And I get the feeling that the team simply doesn't give a flying rat's posterior. From the top on down. The thing I heard from the players most after the game was "well, that was embarrassing". Well, yeah, it was, but was it motivating? Are they going to do better in two weeks, or are they simply hoping they do?

I'll still be in the stands. I'd like to think I'm a fan of the team, not just "a fan of winning", as somebody once said. But it's getting harder to convince friends to come out to the games when there aren't really games going on on the field...

JC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:09 pm 

And the other thing that has been driving me absolute batsh*t is watching ONE player fight for a loose ball while getting double and triple teamed while the rest of the team just stands on the outskirts or back in the defensive zone.
I don't get where that's coming from.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:54 pm 

If only they were this excited about their own games...

JC

Attachments:
laxhoc.JPG
laxhoc.JPG [ 41.17 KiB | Viewed 502 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:15 pm 

Thanks for posting that crap, JC.

To me, this is just ANOTHER reason that social media is disruptive and useless.

While I am a proud American, I have no problem with Canadians being excited and supporting their Olympic teams. I would certainly have rather seen the USA win both hockey gold medals, especially the women because they really should have won. Still for Canadians to cheer on Canadians is OK.

For Tye Belanger, however, to post what he did there... Now, instead of thinking of Mr. Belanger as a struggling Mammoth goaltender who can't seem to stop even the simplest of shots this season, I will think of him as a punk who hates the United States. AND a bad goalie. Way to go, Tye.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:44 pm 

OH, I forgot, $10,000/year players cant have rivalries or blow off steam talking trash with their team mates. I make well more than that and I talk trash about the Broncos in this town every day, do I deserve to be judged? Long live the "Team building" trash talk on twitter.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:18 pm 

I don't have a problem with the players on twitter getting into a hockey game or even poking fun at the US. I'm sure if you talked to Tye about his comment he'd tell you it was all in fun. And just knowing that you could go and talk to Tye about it, is a bonus that you don't get with other sports. I look at most of these players as regular guys who happen to be very good at lacrosse. My perception is that very few of them are A-Rods or Terrell Owenses.

The fact that they interact with one another off the field is a good sign. I would rater have them getting together to watch hockey and take their minds off the game for a few hours than not talking to each other outside of team events.

And so what if they support Canada in the Olympics. Face it, these guys are Canadian, and until the US starts developing more programs to teach box to its youth, then be thankful there are even teams in the US.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:29 pm 

Billy, to paraphrase Don Cherry, just because you're pro Canadian doesn't make you anti American.
Since when is patriotism hate speech?
Eric, you hit the nail on the head, took the words out of my mouth.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:44 am 

My point certainly wasn't that they were cheering for Canada - they were presumably born and bred on Canadian hockey, and it'd be silly to expect them to switch allegiances just because they happened to be picked up by an American squad. It wasn't even that they were tweeting about the hockey game per se. I was holding that up simply for comparison - I hardly ever see any comments from the players about the games they were actually participating in. True, there may not be much to say about the shellacking they took. But when they tweet more about hockey far more than the sport they're actually playing, it does add to the illusion that the Mammoth is just kind of a job to them. Or, as some have said, "if they don't care, why should I?"

JC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:39 am 

Or maybe they are restricted in what they can say about the mammoth.
I have no idea but you're not the one I was talking about.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:13 pm 

Wow. I guess I'm not surprised. Maybe a little disappointed.

Like I said, Canadians cheering for Canada is no biggie. Expected even. No problem whatsoever.

Eat that, USA. From anyone. Makes me angry.

Immediately.

I guess you are OK with that.

I'm not.

Never will be.

Regardless of the context.